Iran denies report it tried to grab British oil tanker

By bne IntelliNews July 11, 2019

Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) denied a report that they had stopped a British oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz, AFP reported citing Fars News Agency on July 11.

According to a previous report by CNN, the IRGC navy unit ordered the British Heritage oil tanker, which was in the Strait of Hormuz, to change its direction towards Iranian waters. The Iranian boats departed after British warship HMS Montrose warned them off, all the while being videoed by the US in the distance.

Following the report by the US, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the UK’s claim that Iran tried to stop its ship was “worthless”, confirming the statement that the IRGC made on its social media channel earlier.

“Apparently the British tanker has passed. What they have said themselves and the claims that have been made are for creating tension and these claims have no value,” Zarif said.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani previously warned Britain of “consequences” on July 10, over the detention of the Iranian super-tanker Grace I by Royal Marines off the coast of Gibraltar.

On July 8, Iran’s Defence Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami said: “The action runs counter to international regulations and is a kind of maritime piracy,” while in Bandar Abbas.

Related Articles

Azerbaijan, Iran to start construction of cross-border bypass at Astara

Border officials of Iran and Azerbaijan this week met to discuss a planned 1,300-metre multi-lane dual carriageway that will span the border of the two countries by the city of Astara located on the ... more

Iran accuses US of “governmental terrorism” after threat to kill Soleimani’s successor

A US threat to kill the successor to Iran’s Major General Qasem Soleimani is a sign of “America’s targeted and governmental terrorism”, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said ... more

Compensation anxieties rise after Iran says it won’t recognise dual nationalities of air disaster victims

The 165 Iranian dual nationals who died when Ukrainian International Airlines (UIA) PS752 was mistakenly shot down over a Tehran suburb on January 8 “will be treated as Iranian only”, Seyed Abbas ... more

Dismiss