Abolfazl Zohrehvand, a member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iran's 12th Parliament, has said that US President Donald Trump is using threats as a method to advance his goals regarding the country, Etemad Online reported on April 3.
The outspoken politician, who has previously criticised former foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif over his children having American passports earlier in 2024, has again ruffled the feathers of the current administration, who are believed to be holding indirect negotiations with the US via Oman, which has previously acted as a neutral location for the two countries’ discussions.
"Trump's method in advancing his goals is to use threats, and he tries to make these threats against Iran seem credible in order to bring Iran to the table, not for negotiation but for accepting his demands, as Trump says either agree or there will be war," Zohrehvand said.
The MP compared Trump's approach to the stance taken during the Rouhani administration, saying: "This is like when they said during Rouhani's government that any agreement is better than no agreement, meaning surrender. They certainly haven't understood Iran's nature, and although they know Iran's capabilities, they still allow themselves to make threats, which shows Trump's stupidity."
Zohrehvand predicted that "nothing will happen" and claimed that "psychological operations are being conducted against Iranian society to see if they can bring Iran to sign a surrender document at the last minute. This will certainly not happen."
"Trump and J D Vance, Trump's deputy, have announced that they are not in favour of war because they know that while America might start this war, America won't end it," he stated, adding that "no analyst can estimate what might happen in the region and internationally even after a limited confrontation from the Americans."
The parliamentarian stressed that Iran would not allow "Trump and his friends to bring Iran to sign a surrender agreement with a series of bluffs" and said it was the media's responsibility to explain the expert dimensions of this issue.
Zohrehvand warned: "How does Trump give himself the audacity and permission to state either agreement or war?"
"We will definitely fight if necessary, and in a war with America, we won't suffer losses. Rather, those who will suffer losses are America, Israel and their allies in the Persian Gulf region, who will have to pitch tents in the Egyptian desert."
His comments come as Iran continues to ramp up rhetoric with the announcement of its latest drone capability.
Earlier on April 3, the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) introduced a new reconnaissance and bomber drone called "Jas 313," which is equipped with jet engines, as the latest addition to its unmanned aerial vehicle fleet, state media reported.