Fourth dead US soldier found at Lithuania’s training ground

Fourth dead US soldier found at Lithuania’s training ground
Fourth dead US soldier found at Lithuania’s training ground. / bne IntelliNews
By bne IntelliNews April 2, 2025

The body of a fourth American soldier has been recovered from a swamp in the Pabrade training ground in eastern Lithuania, the US Army Command Europe and Africa announced on the evening of April 1, LRT.lt reported on April 2.

The soldier’s identity has not been disclosed, pending notification of relatives.

“First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers…I can’t say enough about the support our Lithuanian allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian allies – and our own sailors, airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers – have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have allies and friends,” said General Christopher Donahue, commander of US Army Europe and Africa, in a statement, LRT.lt reported.

The US military is investigating the cause of the incident, and further details will be made public as circumstances allow.

As reported by bne IntelliNews, three of the four missing US soldiers were found on March 31 after an M88 Hercules armoured carrier was retrieved from a swamp.

The four US troops and the armoured carrier disappeared last week during a training exercise in eastern Lithuania. The search and rescue operation lasted almost a week, involving Lithuanian and US troops, as well as Polish and Estonian soldiers, officials and civilians.

The US Army’s 3rd Infantry Division has released the identities of three of the deceased soldiers: Edwin Franco, 25, from California; Dante Taitano, 21, from Guam; and Jose Duenez, 25, from Illinois.

The identity of the fourth soldier, whose body was recovered, has been withheld until the family has been notified, according to the statement.

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda has issued a message of condolence following the soldier’s death.

On April 1, several hundred people gathered outside the US Embassy in Vilnius to pay their respects to the American soldiers.

US Ambassador Kara McDonald told the crowd that such acts are a demonstration of the Nato alliance, LRT.lt reported.

News

Dismiss