Myanmar's military junta attempted to stop a Chinese Red Cross convoy carrying aid for earthquake recovery, but the convoy refused to halt, prompting the military to fire warning shots, a junta spokesperson said on April 2, according to a Myanmar Now report.
"We attempted to stop the convoy, but they refused to stop. After that, we fired warning shots from about 100 metres away, and we understand they fled back toward Nawnghkio," Zaw Min Tun, the military's spokesperson, said in a statement.
Zaw Min Tun added that the convoy, which was using trucks with Myanmar license plates, did not have prior approval for its journey from military authorities. He also stated that the junta would investigate the incident to understand the circumstances surrounding the attack.
The convoy, operated by the Chinese Red Cross, was carrying critical aid supplies to assist with recovery efforts in Mandalay and other earthquake-affected areas. On the same day, the Brotherhood Alliance, a coalition of ethnic armed groups in northern Shan State, called for a cessation of hostilities following the devastating earthquake, which has now claimed the lives of more than 3,000 people across Myanmar.
The Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA), one of the groups in the alliance, confirmed the attack in a statement issued on Telegram and social media. The relief trucks, which had been intercepted, were escorted back to Nawnghkio by the TNLA's forces at around 9 p.m., the group's press team said.